According to a press release by The National Chicken Council Americans will eat their way through a mind-boggling 1.4 billion wings during the 2021 Superbowl. As part of the NCC’s Aannual Wing Report.
- Americans are more likely to prefer eating bone-in, traditional wings (53%) than “boneless wings.”
- Two in five (38%) Americans say that the breast is their favorite cut of chicken, but wings (20%) are second.
- While there are a variety of wing sauces to choose from, BBQ (52%), ranch (46%) and buffalo/hot sauce (41%) are the preferred.
- French fries are by far the preferred side for wings (72%), distantly followed by celery (14%).
If you feel like getting in on some of that action yourself, a number of national restaurants are offering a range of deals this Super Bowl Sunday. You can see our full roundup up all the Superbowl 2021 offerings here.
If you’re still struggling to get your head around those billion plus wings, the NCC write that:
- Assuming Kansas City Chiefs’ coach Andy Reid can eat three wings per minute, it would take him more than 900 years to eat 1.42 billion wings.
- 1.42 billion wings could circle the circumference of the Earth 3 times.
- 1.42 billion wings laid end would stretch 19 times from Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. to Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fl.
Info source: National Chicken Council.